Selecting a Program
Students may choose a study abroad program for a variety of reasons: academic fit, professional opportunity, cultural interest, program-related excursion opportunities, etc. The more research a student does in finding the right fit program, the better experience he/she will have during their time abroad.
To research and select a program, follow these steps:
- If planning a semester or academic year abroad on a Lafayette affiliated program, attend a Get Started Session. As well, all students should be on the look-out for the annual Study Abroad Fair and program-specific information sessions through the College calendar.
- Browse this entire website to find out about options, policies, deadlines, and procedures. Particularly useful are the Getting Started page and the Program Search page.
- Speak with your academic adviser or academic department (for what to talk about, visit the Academics page).
- Speak to a study abroad advisor. Schedule an appointment on the Staff page.
- Plan ahead! Leave plenty of time for program research, application tasks, and preparation and paperwork.
Types of Programs
Students can participate in programs abroad for a semester, during a January or May/summer interim period, or for shorter durations through various service-oriented programs. Programs can be for credit or not, and can be led by Lafayette faculty (both semester-long and short-term) or offered through affiliated partners (e.g., Boston University, Temple University, Syracuse University, IFSA Butler, IES, SIT, CIEE, etc.). Lafayette offers programs to over 50 countries and through over 30 partner institutions. So, no matter what your academic interest or major is, and no matter when and where you want to study off-campus, there is going to be a program for you.
Please continue reading this page and click on the active links below for more detailed information about program types.
- Semester with Lafayette
- Semester with Affiliated Programs
- Interim Programs (January term or May/summer)
- Summer Programs
- Other Opportunities